Sunday, July 16, 2017

FHE Lesson: Humility

Clearly, I am not perfect. FHE has basically fallen on me and being overwhelmed to the point where I ignored everything and everyone was not beneficial to getting our FHE routine in gear for the summer. But, each Monday is a new week to try again because it is something we have been instructed to do to strengthen our families.

Most of my ideas came from these two sites.
Play Eat Grow and Family Home Evening Manual



Opening Prayer: Dad


Scripture: D&C 12:8

Lesson: Tell/discuss with the children what humility is and what humility is not (see FHE manual linked above). Then we will watch The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. I watched several videos and I like this one best for our family. I thought we could discuss what each man focuses on.
The Pharisee: Many I's, no acknowledgement to God, no acknowledgement to others for help, feels perfect or better than others, would he be willing to serve others?
The Tax Collector: 1 I, acknowledges God, asked for need (repentance), not perfect, would he be willing to serve others?
As needed, I will talk about what is humility and what it is not and tie it into the 2 men.

Activity: Blessings in a box 
The idea for "Blessings in a Box" came from Pray, Eat, Grow linked above.

You will need two boxes. 1 neatly wrapped, looking "perfect". 1 box tattered and worn (holes/or one large hole I should say will be needed).
You will need some jelly beans or other similar item.

We place the perfect box in a container and pour "blessings" onto it and realize that we do not receive blessings if we already think we are perfect.

We place the the imperfect box in a container and pour "blessings" onto it and see that because of being broken, we are able to receive blessings.

Of course, discuss how this relates to us and how we treat other, ourselves, and our relationship with our Heavenly Father (maybe a little deep for 3 & 1).

Closing Prayer: Oldest DD

Treat: "Humble" pie :) I will most likely use oatmeal pies unless I actually feel like making a pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment