Saturday, February 28, 2015

Family Story

So as a member of the LDS church, we are encouraged to keep a family record, and not just genealogy, but to share actual stories.

Earlier this week, I was thinking about my dad, and I thought about the routines he had. I notice as I get older, I share much of these routines and choices. 

My dad was a hard working man! He was up at 4:30 every morning whether he worked or not and went to bed around 9:30 every night. Sleeping in for him, which was rare, was only until 5. 

As a teenager, I thought my dad was crazy and a few times I let him know it. Each time, he'd share with me some life-long important skills. 1st- once your body is used to something, it's hard to break the habit. 2nd- there is purpose in your life by waking up and beginning to accomplish the things that need to be done. You can then rest easy with your family or friends around dinner and after. 

My dad was up every morning at 4:30 and followed his routine, the same every day. He got ready for the day, had coffee and breakfast, watched the news, and eventually would leave unless it was his day off then he would get busy working around the house.

For the last 3 years, I had a job that required me to be at work by 7 and with each passing year I had to get up earlier because of changes I had made in my life. So, for the last year and a half I am use to waking up around 4:30 in the morning. Weeks like this week, I have gotten up around 3 every day. It makes me realize how crazy I seem to younger people, but it is true what my dad always told me. Your body is use to routines and we get to accomplish many things. It makes me appreciate my dad and his early morning and early to bed habits!

No comments:

Post a Comment